Whether you’ve just bought your air conditioning unit, or you’ve had it for a number of years, you need to have it regularly serviced. Regular servicing ensures that your unit continues to function properly, so that you can continue to enjoy clean, fresh air.
Why is it important to service your air conditioning unit?
There are many good reasons why it’s important to service your air conditioning unit:
- Maximise efficiency: Your air conditioner loses approximately 5% of its efficiency every year if it goes without servicing. Regular maintenance will ensure your unit can remain at peak performance, giving you quicker cooling and heating and more efficient power consumption.
- Lengthen lifespan: Your air conditioner is a mechanical device and like any mechanical device, its parts will wear out over time. Blockages can occur and parts may need to be replaced. With regular servicing you can double the lifespan of your air conditioner.
- Save on electricity costs: A poorly maintained unit will have diminished efficiency and cost you more in electricity costs. By regularly servicing your air conditioner, you can save up to 25% on your electricity bill.
- Improve air quality: Your air conditioner keeps your environment comfortable by controlling humidity and regulating air quality. If regular maintenance is neglected, air quality will suffer and this can lead to associated health risks.
- Maintain warranty: Most air conditioning manufacturers offer an extended warranty on all new units providing they are serviced regularly from the date of installation. If you neglect to service your air conditioner, you will render your extended warranty null and void.
How frequently should you service your air conditioning unit?
Air conditioning professionals recommend that you have your air conditioning unit serviced and inspected at least twice a year, more often for certain environments such as restaurants and gyms. Of course, you should call in a professional at any time if you suspect your unit is having problems.
What could happen if you don’t service your air conditioning unit?
One of the crucial functions of your air conditioner is to filter dust and dirt from the air and provide you with clean, fresh air. If the air conditioning unit is not serviced, the dirt and dust will build up over time and get stuck in the filters.
This will force your air conditioning unit to work harder and this has an effect on its performance. You will find that you have to increase the settings to get the same amount of cooling and heating that you require.
Because your air conditioning unit is working harder, it will be consuming more energy which will jack up your electricity bill.
The accumulated dirt and dust trapped inside your unit can end up being released back into the air. This can trigger symptoms for sufferers of allergic conditions such as eczema or asthma.
What happens when you service your air conditioning unit?
During a professional service, your air conditioning professional will clean and unblock filters, check electrical components and compressors, and clean drip trays, all which are essential to ensure smooth running and prevent future breakdowns. If you unit has not been serviced for a long time, you may require a deep clean, which is a more thorough service and also includes cleaning the coils with anti-bacterial chemical cleaning agent.
Your professional will check the overall performance of your unit to spot potential problems and recommend how to deal with them before they get any worse.
Think your air conditioning unit is due for a service or deep clean? Give our friendly team at JP Air Conditioning a call on 020 8333 1191 or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you sorted.