We’ve all been seeing the media adverts for a while now about controlling your heating from your mobile phone. While a relatively new technology, it is one that is picking up pace across our increasingly interconnected world. There are lots of reasons for this and all relate to the benefits smart homes can bring to our life. We take a closer look at what they are and how you can benefit from this revolution in our homes too.
What are smart homes?
Technology such as Amazon’s Alexa or Google’s Siri mean that we can already control our home’s media systems from the comfort of our sofa with just a few words. Many of us also have smart meters fitted to provide more accurate electricity readings and help us to identify where we may be able to make energy efficiency savings.
This is just the start of how things can be. At their most sophisticated, smart homes are those that allow you to control different aspects of any of your home’s systems. This is possible across the house, keeping rooms at different temperatures or with separate lighting moods, as well as operating your system remotely.
How does it relate to climate control?
An air conditioning system will operate on a thermostat and can provide both heating and cooling. Timers can be set to come on at certain times of the day and temperatures can be adjusted by room as well (depending on the system you have installed). For example, you could set it to come on before you get up in the morning or before you come home after work. Alternatively, you could set the bedroom to be at a lower temperature than the living room. There are options to suit all budgets and whatever size of space you are looking to cool or heat.
Climate control in a smarter home means that you can control that thermostat remotely as well. If you decide to stay out after work, update your settings so that your home is not heated or cooled while it is still empty. This can all be achieved with a simple WiFi adaptor for your air conditioning system.
What are the benefits?
There are many, including:
- Using energy only when you need it – i.e. when you are at home and not when you are out at work or away for a weekend.
- Saving money on your energy bills. Choosing how and when to heat or cool your home at times to work around you means you are not wasting energy unnecessarily.
- Remote control when you are away from home, giving you peace of mind.
- Setting zones around the house mean you are not heating or cooling rooms that are not used or that do not need to be set at the same temperature as the rest of the house. For example, bedrooms will typically be set at a lower temperature than living rooms.
- Adapting your energy use based on your needs. Using a smart meter and control system helps you to identify where you can make savings by switching off unused devices or adjusting the temperature settings in certain rooms or even the whole house.
Considering a move towards a smarter home? Talk to our experts at JP Air Conditioning to find out the best system for you and your lifestyle. For both cooling and heating we have the experience and expertise to advise and fit a system that works for you. Start by calling us on 020 8333 1191 or emailing us at and we will take it from there.